Thursday, July 17, 2008

WARR in Ottawa September 6

Since I missed the Midnight Sun Fun Run in Fairbanks in June (and now I can't even remember why), this is my next goal. I looked at the website tonight, and I only have 50 days! I swear just a few weeks ago when I commited to do this I had several months to train. What the hell happened?

It's only three miles, so it should be a snap. Note the use of "should be". First of all, I'll be running with real runners, not people who can't decide if what they're doing is called jogging" or called "running". They know what they're doing and it's called running.

Second, I'm going with three friends that are real runners. I mentioned I'd been jogging and somehow they sucked me into their enthusiasm for this race and in a moment of insanity I said yes. The hotel and car are booked and I've paid my $50 entrance fee. I'm sharing a room with my 27-year old very physically fit girlfriend (yup, she's a size 2). I can't back out of this now, friends don't do things like that. I keep telling myself that it's only three freaking miles, anyone can run three miles, right?

2 comments:

Pamela said...

OMG - three miles? I'd be lucky to walk three miles? You're my hero!

Diana said...

Pamela - I know, three miles seems like a lot to me too...especially to jog/run it. My friends wanted to sign up for the 10k and I said absolutely NOT. The 5k will be challenging enough for me. They felt sorry for me and agreed to run the 5k. Maybe next year I can do the 10k, but I'm not ready yet.

One thing I've found is that the less I weigh the easier it is to run. I guess that makes sense when you think about it. If I picked up a 40 pound jug of cat litter I can barely walk across the room with it. So carrying and extra 100 pounds on my body definitely makes everything harder, especially jogging.
~Diana