Sunday, July 6, 2008

I climbed a mountain

Okay, it wasn't really a mountain, it was just a chain link fence, but five months ago and 57 pounds, it would have been a mountain.

On July 4th, at 10pm, my husband and I decided to go to the fireworks display at a nearby park that was starting in 15 minutes. We jumped in the car, drove the three miles, parked and started running towards the open field where we could see the fireworks. We followed some other people down what we thought was a shortcut. It was almost totally dark and we could barely see (no flashlight). Suddenly the people in front of us said, 'oh no, the trail ends here'. They were right, there were only brambles and blackberry bushes in front of us.

There was only one way to make it to the fireworks in time and that was to scale a four foot chain link fence. My husband asked me if I could get over the fence. I looked at it and said sure, I can get over that easy. I stuck the toe of my tennis shoe into a hole in the chain link about a foot up, and used my arms to pull up body up. As I started to swing one leg over the fence I thought oh no, I can't do this. Then my body took over and shut my negative thoughts out. I swung one leg over the fence, then the other and hopped down to the other side. We took off running and made it just in time to see a spectacular fireworks show. A major non-scale victory for me. I'm almost 53 years old, and I can hop over four foot fences. Wahoo!

1 comments:

Pamela said...

First, oh my gosh, running? That alone impresses me. But the fact that you scaled a fence is awesome! I remember doing that as a kid, but can't imagine myself doing it now! I probably would have gotten my foot stuck at the top and then tumbled onto my head. :o)