I started jogging about a month ago. I originally called it running, but after a little research thanks to Google, I found out that jogging is 4 miles per hour up to 6 miles per hour , running is 6mph or more. To run you have to do at least a 10-minute mile. I jog for 30 minutes between 4.5 mph and 5 mph. I throw in two one-minute intervals of 6 mph, which just about kill me.
Here's why I think jogging is the magic pill. About two weeks ago I was in a car accident where I was rear-ended. My car was hit pretty hard and my head did the normal whiplash move of being thrown forward and then back. I went to the doctor because my neck was really sore and I could barely move it from side to side. My doctor said I had whiplash. She instructed me not to jog or workout my upper body for three weeks. If you read my previous post you'll know I don't always listen to my doctor.
My neck was really sore the day of the accident. I seriously thought about going home, taking Ibuprofen and resting as the good doctor recommended, but I couldn't bear the idea of breaking my exercise streak. I've exercised almost every day for months. That day was a jogging day. My logical thinking was it would be better to move my neck around so it wouldn't get stiff.
I went to the gym, and I jogged 30 minutes. My husband had a fit when he found out. He told me I had really messed up and now I'd probably have back pain and wouldn't be able to move my neck at all the next day. My girlfriend asked me where I'd gotten my medical degree and how stupid was I anyway. Ha! They were both wrong! The next day my neck was fine and has been fine ever since. I think the jogging fixed it.
Yesterday I was complaining about my side pain, that it was getting pretty intense. Again, I thought maybe I shouldn't go to the gym when I was in pain. But it was a jogging day, how could I just skip it. I went to the gym, I jogged holding my side (yes, it hurt even more when I jogged). Then a miracle happened on the treadmill after about 10 minutes into my jog, right when I was thinking I couldn't do this anymore because it hurt too much. The pain disappeared. It was suddenly just gone. That was yesterday at 3pm. I haven't had any side pain since then. It had been almost non-stop for the previous two days.
So, there you have it, jogging is my new magic pill. Plus, it helps with weight loss too. What could be better? I'm still having the stupid ultrasound. I think it's a total waste of time and money, but this side pain business did scare me just a tiny bit. Since I don't have a medical degree perhaps I should listen to someone that does, my doctor.
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Jogging is the new magic pill
Posted by Diana at 8:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Diana, Diana, Diana, what am I going to do with you?? Please take care of yourself! I'm so thankful that you're still having the ultrasound! Pain that constant for that long of a time isn't natural. I hope that the ultrasound doesn't find anything and if it doesn't then at least you'll know you were right about the stupid ultrasound and that you have nothing to worry about!
I'm also sorry to hear about your accident! I'll be thinking about you and hoping you stay feeling better!
Pamela - I know, I'm really addicted to exercising. Strangely it actually seemed to help with the pain. Maybe I'll jog this cyst loose and it'll go away. That would be nice. :)
Diana
Post a Comment