Friday, July 18, 2008

Finally, I'm seeing a real doctor

I'm sitting here drinking the required 32 ounces of water in preparation for my 8am pelvic ultrasound. Then I have a 9am appointment with my doctor, where she'll review the ultasound results. Finally, I get to find out what's really wrong with me. The nurse practitioner was probably right, it's probably just an ovarian cyst. I read about them online, and if I had to make a diagnosis, that's what I'd say too. If that's really what it is, then it's not that serious, not like the pelvic cancer I was sure I had when I first Googled my symptoms.

Oddly, I'm not really worried about this pain that's been getting increasingly worse, especially during these last two weeks. It's not excruciating but it's always there. I'd rate it a 4 or 5 on the pain scale, with moments of 7. Certainly not unbearable and I've had much worse, like the gallbladder pain I had two years ago which I rated a 20+ on a scale of 1-10. I only had that pain for about one week before I had my gallbladder surgically removed. It was unbearable. I could probably live with this new pain for a very long time if I had too, in fact, I have for about four months. However, I prefer a life free of pain, therefore, the doctor visit today.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

No, no - you shouldn't have to live in daily pain! How did your ultrasound go? Did they find out that it is indeed a cyst? I've heard that gallbladder pain is excruciating. I've been very lucky (and grateful) not to have experienced it myself.

Diana said...

Pamela, yes, the ultrasound showed an ovarian cyst 3.3 centimeters, which according to my deaf ultrasound technician (that's a story in itself) - is a big one and would cause a lot of pain (no kidding). I have an appointment with my OB-GYN doctor on August 7 - my birthday. It was the first available appointment. Funny thing, I haven't had any pain at all for two days, and I'm not taking any Vicodin. They said it could go away on it's on, so that's what I'm hoping. :)