Saturday, July 12, 2008

Shallow Diana

Remember the movie Shallow Hal? I loved that movie (although I can't stand Gwyneth). Almost everyone that's overweight or has been overweight loves that movie. Looking over several of my recent posts I'm realizing what a really shallow person I've become. All I talk about is my appearance and what people think of me. Is that really what's important, someone's looks?

I think I need to get over myself and re-evaluate what's really important in life. Even if I was drop dead gorgeous, which I'm certainly not, it would be meaningless if my insides were ugly. Being "pretty" isn't what makes a person worthy. Being honest, admirable, kind, loving, generous...those are the things that count. Not if someone thinks I'm sexy or cute. Looks aren't important, plus they're fleeting. As we say in the software development field, it's a "nice to have". When did I become a shallow Diana?

2 comments:

Pamela said...

You're not shallow, Diana, I think we're just victims of society. While it's true that looks shouldn't matter, and that what is inside is all that should matter, and while we both might treat others that way, it's sad that it's too often not the case in our world. We are far too often judged at first glance by how we look. And since we were both overweight, I think that a lot of times we felt judged by our weight and our looks. So it is only natural that we would worry about it now. I don't think that came out as well as I wanted it to, but it made sense in my head.

Pamela said...

OH and by the way - I must be the only overweight person in the world, but I really didn't like Shallow Hal! There was just something about it that rubbed me the wrong way. But you're right in that it seems like a lot of people really liked it.