Friday, January 16, 2009

WI: Up .2 pounds

I finally forced myself to go to Weight Watchers last night for my weigh in. It was painful, but I had to face it. I gained .2. I know it's not a lot, but anything that's not a loss is a failure in my eyes. 


Current weight: 162.4

Gained: + .2

Total Lost: 76.8

My two new vices are sweet potatoes and cold cereal. The sweet potato fetish came about when a friend told me they were a super food. I'd never eaten a sweet potato until two weeks ago. It turns out that I love them. I'm sure in a limited quantity they are good for you. It's just that I have a problem with portion control when I really like a food.

The problem with the cold cereal just came out of no where. Well, not exactly out of no where. I read about it on a blog. They were having a problem with eating cereal at night. I know, crazy huh? The power of suggestion. The next thing I know I'm up at midnight eating big bowls of cereal with ice cold milk. What the hell? I never eat cold cereal for breakfast. I don't even really like it. Except as a forbidden midnight snack.

I did keep up with my exercise routine this week. For some unknown reason, I'm really good at the exercise part of the plan. I work out six days a week, an hour a day. I work out hard. I don't play around at the gym.

It's the food I have issues with. I haven't been tracking. I talk about it, I think about it, I just don't do it. There's a simple reason why. Because 20 Points doesn't go very far. If I track my food I hit the 14 Points by about 4pm. Then I feel like my day is doomed. I stop tracking.

I know in my head I get more than 20 Points. I get the 35 Flex Points and usually at least 4 APs a day or more (my spinning class day...45 minutes equals 6 APs). Technically I could have 29 Points a day and still totally be on plan.

I have this stupid idea that if I could just eat 20 Points then I would be perfect. No APs or Flex Points. I read about other people doing it, why can't I? Why can't I be perfect like them? I may as well face it, I'll never be perfect. I'm anything but perfect. I'm human and full of flaws. 

So my new plan this week is to tell myself each day that I can have 29 Points right up front.  So at 4pm when I've already eaten 14 Points, I'll still have 15 Points left for the day. That sounds totally doable to me. 

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Diana, you are so hard on yourself. But I love sweet potatoes, too, and just learned that last year.

I think that letting yourself realize you have about 29 points up front is definitely the right track. I think you need to be realistic about what you want. Do you want to have to live on 20 points for the rest of your life? I doubt it! I know I wouldn't. So 29 points is more realistic for you long-term, if that makes sense. Maybe 29 points IS perfect for you.

Have you also ever tried to plan your day out the night before? When I actually follow the plan, :o) I find that this really helps me out. I don't find myself munching as much or eating more than I'd planned. I know that for a lot of people that isn't realistic though.

Hang in there! Hugs!

Ron said...

Weird, I started eating a baked sweet potato about every other day and have been doing so for the past two weeks.... they are good!... Glad it was just a small gain.... hang in there.. its a lifestyle not a race!

Anonymous said...

I love sweet potatoes, too! Oh, the power of suggestion is right on. Jason talked about midnight snacking, which I don't do and then I did last night. Sheesh!

Good for you for going back to WW to face the scale. I know what you mean about a gain is not a loss, but it was a very minimal one.

As for not using the WPAs and APs, well, a leader actually touched on this the other day at a meeting and really, you should use them. That is what they are there for, that way there is no deprivation and you can on plan long term. People who don't use them are NOT perfect at all and it's not advisable. So, you are doing the right thing to use them. Long term it will help you, not hinder.

Best of luck this week!

Grace said...

No one is perfect. The people we think are perfect from appearances are often the most "imperfect" people of all...I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I just mean that we can never know what's going on in someone's life from outward appearances.

I think we should strive to be comfortable and happy with ourselves. That's a better goal than being perfect. Believe me, I know. I tried to be perfect for so many years, and those years were the worst of my life. I was bulimic and miserable, but DAMN, I looked good on the outside.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. Don't stop trying to lose weight, but love who you are, at whatever weight you are.

Skye-Lynn said...

I feel you 100% on the cold cereal thing. This is a problem for me, too. Right now, I'm stuck on Special K Chocolaty Delight with skim milk at 1:00 am. What the hell? I know, I'm nuts. Binging on a "healthy" cereal with skim milk. Leave it up to me! lol

And for the record, those other people are not perfect either. None of us are so don't beat yourself up, okay. I know, I know. Easier said than done, right? :o)

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog :) You should try butternut squash as a sub for sweet potato - they're really similar, but the butternut squash is lower in calories and still really good for you! I make butternut squash fries ALL the time. So good with ketchup.