Thursday, January 29, 2009

We all dream. Dreams do come true.

I have a favorite treadmill at my gym. It's positioned just to the right of the big fan and the big screen TV. Directly in front of my treadmill is a lighted sign, about 3 1/2' x 2'. It's a picture of a pretty dark haired, olive-skinned young woman wearing white yoga pants and a white jogging bra. She's doing the yoga Lord of the Dance pose. Her eyes are looking up towards a blue sky.

The words on the sign say "We all dream. Dreams do come true." I love this sign, I love staring at it when I run, focusing on the pretty young woman with the perfect body. I love the words.

Yesterday, for the first time in the eleven months that I've been going to the gym, I noticed there were two other lines of smaller printed words, right below the "We all dream." line. I've never noticed those words.

This is what the sign says in it's entirety:

We all dream.

We dream socially responsible dreams.

We dream of an end to diabetes.

Dreams do come true.

At the bottom of the sign in even smaller print it says, "Ballys is a proud sponsor of the American Diabetes Association". 

Interesting. Because the fear of diabetes is what got me on that treadmill in the first place. It's what got me to attend Weight Watchers meetings faithfully (there's a much higher success rate of people who attend the meetings consistently). It's why I made a commitment to working out six days a week. It's what is making me fight desperately to get off this last 30 pounds.

I had five aunts on my mother's side, four of them died because of diabetes related illnesses. Amputated feet and legs. Blindness. Heart attacks. Debilitating strokes. Really scary stuff. All of them were somewhat overweight, 20 to 30 pounds, all diagnosed when they were in their early fifties. All of them died in their 80's, after 30 years of diabetes complications. I did not want to go down that road.

Almost a year ago, in Feb 2008 my fasting glucose was 101 (two weeks ago it was 88). 101 is considered pre-diabetic. That put the fear of God in me and got me back on track. I guess in  a way, the fear of diabetes is what got me where I am today, living a healthier and happier lifestyle.

My mother worried most of her life about diabetes, yet she was overweight until she was 65 years old. That's when she lost 100-pounds, which she managed to maintain for 31 years until her death. She died when she was 86, but from a non-diabetes related illness. 

My mother was vigilant about her diet and her exercise right up to the end. She lived a full life, living completely independently until she was 85. I want that same kind of life in my old age, free of health issues and medications, traveling and doing what I want. 

In my last post I said this business of losing weight is hard. It is hard, but it's nothing compared to living with diabetes. That redefines the definition of a hard life.

My dream is that you and I never suffer from that dreaded disease, diabetes. And you know what? With effort and hard work, we can make that dream come true.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Food Idea of the Day

I love this snack. It's easy, really filling, healthy and you get a lot of it. Best of all, it's only two Points. Drink a big glass of water with it and you'll be really satisfied. 

I'm a little late to the Fiber One bandwagon, so most people have probably already tried this combination, but if you haven't, you're in for a treat. 

I was surprised I had four boxes of Fiber One cereal in my pantry. I guess those non-subliminal advertising messages on The Biggest Loser are working on me.

2 Points

1 cup of fruit  (my current favorite, green grapes, cut in half)
1 lowfat yogurt (my favorite, Lowfat Vanilla Activia)
1/2 cup Fiber One

Mix together and enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exercise

2 mile walk - 30 minutes - outside in the cold and the fog (Seattle)
30 minute weight workout - in office gym at work (or I should say office gym/closet) 

Vitamins/Supplements a

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorite snacks! sometimes i add a spoonful of "Better'n Peanut Butter" (100 calories for 2 tablespoons - SO good).

Pamela said...

Diana, thank you so much for this post! I'm so sorry to hear about your family's struggles and losses due to diabetes. My grandfather, aunts, uncles, great-aunt, my mom all have/had diabetes, so I kind of felt like a ticking time bomb. :o)

Tony said...

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes as well. It really should have been the clear warning sign that it was for you, but sadly it took me almost another year or so to figure out that I really needed to lose weight.

IdaR said...

Hmm...101 considered pre-diabetes? I was told that I had to get my fasting blood sugar to between 80 and 120. So if its 100 - 110, I figure it's just fine.
I was running 25 - 50. So I have to work at keeping it up enough.

Diana said...

Maggie - I'm allergic to peanut butter. Isn't that just sad?!

Pamela - I'm so glad you lost the weight and avoided getting diabetes. It's just a terrible, awful disease. I wish it didn't even exist in this world.

Tony - yeah you! Even if it took you a little while to get with the program, at least you did and now you're on your way to a healthier life.

LosingMyself - it's some kind of new rating system they use to determine if you're pre-diabetic. It use to be if you were over 110 then that was pre-diabetic. About a year ago they changed it to anything over 100. Not all doctors abide by this though, I think it's up to the individual doctor. My doctor always leans towards being super careful. She said the idea was to catch it early and stop it in it's tracks. You can read about it online. There are several articles about the new pre-diabetic fasting glucose levels.

Ron said...

Diabetes scares the hell out of me, because my daughter is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic, I worry and fear for her. She has weight issues as well(like her father). Your doing great, keep at it and you will get there.

Mom of Two Boys said...

Sounds like you're doing great and thanks for the fiber one idea. I really like the all-bran buds too!

Diana said...

Ron - my 13-year old nephew has Type 1 Diabetes. I feel so bad for him. He's had it for three years and deals with it petty good, but sometimes he gets totally frustrated about it.

Nancy - I can't believe it took me so long to try Fiber One. I kept buying it intending to try it, but never did except as cereal with milk which I wasn't too crazy about. I love that 1/2 cup is 0 Points. Can't beat that. :)

Perry H. said...

Diana - love your blog, I'm a pretty new "follower"...cannot wait to read more archives and catch up. I often chide myself for being a "dreamer"...but I also try to focus on the fact that so many great people were dreamers, too. I always think of that quote..."Go confidently in the direction of your dreams"...and try not to head in the direction of my nightmares! Looks like you are headed in the RIGHT direction, ma'am!! Keep up the great work, your blog is very inspiring and you write very well too!!

Diana said...

Thanks Perry! There are tons of talented blog writers out there, and I sometimes wonder why anyone would even bother reading what I write. But it's cathartic for me and cheap therapy (as you said in your blog :).

Julie said...

Nice post!

My father is in the dreaded diabetes situation. Both legs amputated and only 54 yrs old. Among many health problems he has, this has never scared me.
I was obese and had a father going thru some scary health stuff and that did not even make me choose healthier choices.
Now I look back and realize I did the right thing by finally started down a healthy journey because I was a ticking time bomb just like he was.
Thanks for the nice post it made me reflect on my own life with Diabetes hitting close to home.

Donna B said...

thanks for sharing. I just got off my diabetes meds after on them one year. Going on those meds scared me, and it finally got me to eat healthy at the age of 54. I wish I would have been educated more when I was younger, since I had spent most of my life overweight, that is why I am determined to lose these last 17#'s keep up the goo work!

SL said...

I'm sorry about the devastation of diabetes in your family, but thank you for sharing your mother's success. Her success (and your's) is inspiring. I bet you miss her!

Diana said...

Julie, I'm so sorry about your father. He's so young too (I'm 53). I think we're all ticking time bombs if we're not careful. I'm really glad to hear you're on track now to a healthy lifestyle.

Donna, I'm so glad you got off your meds. That's an amazing accomplishment. I agree, getting to goal is very important. I'm working on it too. :)

Sherre, thank you for your kind words. Yes, I miss my mother every single day. She was truly the kindest, greatest person I've ever known.

Q102Briand said...

Diana, Congrats on seeing the early warnings and really doing something about it! I also will try your snack...I love green grapes too :-) Have a great week!