Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blood, Sweat and Tears

Or this post could be titled, "I fought the treadmill and the treadmill won" or "Diana, step away from the treadmill". 


I was at the gym this morning. My neighborhood Ballys which is now everyone's Ballys within a fifteen-mile radius. They closed the second Ballys five miles away, moved all the equipment and all the members to MY Ballys, just down the street from my house.

It's a freaking madhouse. People everywhere. I hate it. Although, we do have all my favorite equipment under one roof now, including the the old-fashioned Stairmaster that I love so much and the Assisted Chin Lift machine. They converted three of the six tennis courts into a gigantic weight machine/free weight room. I do love that part of it, high ceilings and brightly lit. 

However, the people. Too many frickin' people! All the treadmills were in use this morning. They still have the additional 30 treadmills from the other club that aren't set up yet, but soon, they promised me.

I was on one of the treadmills, surrounded by people. Most people were walking. I was doing two-minute  intervals at 4mph/6mph. I decide to really pump it up and run 7.1 mph for one minute. I'm hitting my stride, swinging my arms high. When POW! I punch the treadmill with my fist. Not on purpose of course. It was totally an accident, and it was totally embarrassing. 

I pretended nothing happened even though it was excruciating. The blood started to flow and I thought about getting off to tend to my wounds but instead I decided to keep running, like my life depended on it. So I did. I had a sweat towel with me which became a blood towel. Very gross! I didn't cry, even though I wanted to. It bled quite a bit, probably because my heart rate was hovering around 150. My knuckles are now cut, bruised and swollen. It looks like I was in a bar brawl.

I've kind of always wanted to kick one of those treadmills, being the little torture machines that they are and all. Now I can say I punched one, really hard. 

10 comments:

Karen said...

OWWWWW! My hand hurts just thinking about it. Hope it feels better soon.

Brooke said...

Way to STICK IT TO 'EM!! I was recently in a "workout accident" myself - just posted about it yesterday. Keep up the good work!! Go team Angie!!

Fatinah said...

poor you.....and good for you....I would have cut my hand and then passed out when I saw the blood - and THAT would have been embarrassing!!

IdaR said...

My, aren't you the brave little soldier! LOL

Grace said...

And I was worried about you hurting your knees! :)

Anonymous said...

that is TOTALLY SOMETHING ID DO.

(I have a big a** welt on my right hand from a similar accident :))

which is why I avoid group movement classes :)

Diana said...

Thanks you guys! Now two of my knuckles on my left hand, the ring finger and middle finger knuckles, are now one big, giant knuckle. It's swollen up big time, looks awful and is really sore.

I'm such a klutz! Injured on a treadmill, who does that? I can just imagine what will happen when the weather gets a little nicer and I start running outside! Cars, dogs, rocks on the road. Heck, I sometimes trip walking across a flat surface.

K-Pow said...

Oh my god. That is too funny. I've always felt like punching one too, and now I know not to do it!

Hope you heal up quickly!

Skye-Lynn said...

OMG!!! Your poor hand! Hope you're feeling better soon. Way to stick with the program though. Very impressive!

Pamela said...

OMG Diana! I hope that your hand is doing better! It definitely sounds like something I would do, except I would have been balling like a baby.

My mom and I were at the store a few weeks ago and I had put my heavy keyring with all of my keys in my jacket pocket. Well, I went to swing my hand as I was talking (I tend to talk with my hands) and smacked my knuckle right into it. OMG ow. Anyway, just wanted to share that you're not the only klutz out there! :o)