Now that I've completed my second day of tracking all my food, being 100% OP and not "cheating" anymore, today the truth of traveling this journey hit me right between my eyes: this is not easy.
If it was easy, everyone would do it. There wouldn't be any obesity. We'd all have slim, healthy bodies. We'd all prefer bowls of broccoli instead of a hot fudge sundae. If it was easy, there wouldn't be any weight related illness such as Type II Diabetes or high blood pressure. There wouldn't be a diet industry, no Slim Fast or Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers or gastric bypass surgery. If it was easy, I wouldn't be writing this post.
This not easy. This is hard work. To be successful, you have to always be on top of your game. You have to want to lose weight more than anything. It has to be important enough to you that you're willing to suffer a little and sometimes, a lot. If you're like me, sometimes you just have to embrace the hunger.
“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills. Because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win…” - President John F. Kennedy
I intend to win.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exercise (5am - 4 APs):
30 minutes elliptical
3o minutes strength, crunches, pushups
Vitamins/Supplements a
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's NSV:
Almost a year ago, when I weighed 240 (I'm 5' 6 1/2"), every morning I struggled to find something acceptable to wear to work. As a software developer, I usually dress business casual. Jeans are allowed, but I prefer to dress just a notch better. At one point I only owned one pair of size 20 black slacks that fit, and a few tops.
Even though I tried to shop for larger clothes, nothing fit right and everything looked awful on me. I'd often buy something out of desperation, even though I hated it. I remember many times standing in the dressing room, staring at my reflection in the mirror, and crying. I looked so terrible, bloated, fat, and unhealthy, and I felt tired, old and ugly. I felt hopeless.
Jump ahead to the present. Recently, every morning I struggle to get ready for work. Why? Because I can't decide what to wear. Everything in my closet fits! This morning I stood staring into my closet. I had several items already piled on the bed. Shoes strewn about the floor. Some items I'd tried on, others were still on the hangers. My husband came into the bedroom to see why I hadn't left for work. He asked me what I was doing. I told him, "I have too many clothes! I can't decide what to wear." Wow, how things can change in a year.


13 comments:
No, it's not easy. But I came to the realization that anything in life I want, I have to work for. This is no different. I made peace with it all that day and made my decision to keep on.
Great NSV! I love shopping now. It's my new bad habit.
such a good point.
I used to tell my clients ITS SIMPLE.
SIMPLE TO 'GET' or understand.
NOT simple to impliment.
have a great day!
You mean you don't prefer a bowl of broccoli over a hot fudge sundae ? What's wrong with you girl. LOL. I have that bowl of broccoli and I have that bowl of Blue Bunny FF ice cream about every other day! It's not easy, but I really feel it's getting easier for me, I feel like I have made a lifestyle change, my struggle is still with my social life with eating out.
Excellent post and great NSV for you!
"...sometimes you just have to embrace the hunger."
So true. I've had to learn that the feeling of hunger is not necessarily a horrible thing. In fact, I'm trying to do more analysis of my feelings of hunger. Is it true hunger, or boredom, or frustration... and yes, even if it is true physical hunger, it doesn't need to be treated like it's an emergency.
I agree that it is not easy but it is soooo worth it!
And, congrats on the NSV!!! I am right there with you! It is amazing what our morning struggles are a year later.....!!
What a great quote from JFK & fantastic story! In the end, its the little things that matter the most huh?
btw- thanks for commenting on my guest post over at Mizfit today! Have enjoyed reading through your site!
Take Care ~rupal
Congratulations, Diana, on your second day of tracking! It really isn't easy, is it? I loved the quote and hearing about how your morning routine has changed! I'm really happy for you!
I haven't commented yet on your post from yesterday, but isn't it scary how quickly those points add up?!?
What a great feeling to have good choices to pick out!
I agree, any clothing stores past size 16 are not fashionable in the least!
Um, since when is wearing a sailor dress, size 18, fashionable?
Good for you!!
Did you ever hear the story about the man who found a cocoon. When the butterfly was struggling to emerge from it's cocoon, the man, thinking he would help the butterfly, opened the cocoon. THe butterfly emerged, but was weak and couldn't fly. You see, the man didn't realize that the struggle was what made the butterfly strong enough to fly.
Yes, it is hard. but it is the struggle that makes us strong. Without the struggle, we would not have the strength to carry on.
Love it, Love it, Love it!!! Can you tell that I love your post? :o)
Too many times, weight loss is looked at as being easy. Especially from those who have already lost a significant amount of weight. But it's not. For the simple fact that you stated, "If it was easy, everyone would do it. There wouldn't be any obesity."
And that is the simple truth. Thank you Diana! :o)
That's a pretty sweet NSV!
I loved this post Diana--both parts of it! I am 4 years out from starting, and some days I think I've got it conquered "what was so hard about it?" and then I'll have a day like yesterday where I just revert to old habits, and eat too much and too much of the wrong thing, and I just have to think a lot--and I think I have to accept that this will be hard for the rest of my life...
And, I LOVED your comparison about getting dressed in the morning--that is EXACTLY my experience!
Post a Comment