Friday, January 9, 2009

I hit the wall today

I hit the exercise wall head-on today. What was I thinking? Two freaking hours of exercise a day so I can get in shape for climbing a stupid fake rock wall. 

Today was my second day of that nonsense. I'm in major pain. My knees are in agony. Gee, could if be from those 80 lunges I did yesterday during two one-hour gym sessions?. My back hurts, my forearms hurt, my left ankle hurts, and I have a kink in my neck that won't go away. I feel old. I feel like I want to crawl into a hot bath and stay there forever. My body hates me. 

About a week ago a girlfriend talked me into running the Seattle Marathon with her in November. Today, of all days, she sent me our running schedule for the next 47 weeks. wtf? I can probably run five miles without too many problems, but when we're talking about 8 and 9 mile runs, then 14 and 16 mile runs, um, I don't think so. Looks like a freakish nightmare situation to me. Especially considering how I'm feeling right now. 

I'm starting to think this marathon isn't a good idea. I could get permanent joint damage. Worse yet, I could have a heart attack and die. Or have a heart attack and not die. I need to graciously back out of this commitment. She's 27. Good for her. Go for it. Come see me when you're 53. Then we'll talk.

Today I sent her the following email:

Cindy - I'm worried about the week 25 of the training, when we're suppose to start running 8 to 9 mile runs. Are you kidding me? Week 39, 14 to 16 mile runs. I'm not sure I'm up for this. Remember, I'm OLD! And my knees already hurt from the lunges. I'm taking aspirin right now in preparation for my cardio class at noon. How am I going to run 26 freaking miles?!

Her response:
Diana - One step at a time...  :)

Linda H. started running when she turned 53.  She's already done a half marathon and some other runs.  I think we should go with the mentality that we're going to run the entire marathon, but feel free to stop when we need to.

You can do it!

How can I say no to someone so positive? I'm going to at least give it my best shot. If I can't do it, at least I can say I tried.  If the training gets too tough for me, I'll stop. No harm, no foul, right?

As far as working out two hours a day at the gym. Screw it! I'm not doing it. I was crazy to even think I could do it. Or more importantly, that I would want to do it. Who wants to spend all their free time in a gym, sweating? Not me. An hour a day, six days a week suits me just fine. Anything more than this is simply too much. Too much sweat, too much time, too much pain. It borderlines on being obsessive-compulsive, a personality flaw I'm trying get over. 

I think I'm strong enough to get up at least one of those rock walls. If not, it should be pretty entertaining watching me try.

4 comments:

Grace said...

I admire your ambition to run a marathon, although I can't imagine training & running that much in our fine Seattle area weather.

My main concern would also be the knees, especially as we get older. I work with a lot of runners and wrecked knees are a very common occurrence. I personally prefer walking. I walk a lot, I walk fast, my fitness level is quite high and I've never had trouble with my knees. I truly believe you can get a good workout walking fast. But as they say...whatever works for you...

Mom of Two Boys said...

I HAVE to believe that 53 years old is NOT too old to run a marathon! There is an 84 year old man that runs several marathons a year (can't remember his name right now).

When you reach this goal, you'll be my inspiration!!!

Q102Briand said...

Diana,

Congrats on the great attitude and good luck with the marathon! I am not a runner and give big props to those of you who run!

I just recently found your blog and I am very impressed and motivated by what you have done! Keep up the great work.

Brian
http://q102briand.typepad.com/waistmanagement/

Pamela said...

You are amazing, Diana! But two hours in the gym??? I'd go insane! After reading your post, I'm trying to imagine the eight hours the Biggest Loser contestants put in. No-freaking-way!

If anyone can do this, it's you, Diana, regardless of your age! I agree that there's nothing to lose by starting to train and you get credit just for trying! Be good to yourself!