Day 5 of BLBE Challenge
First of all, lets start with Debbie's tiny, perfect body. She's 39 and has had five children, but you wouldn't believe what she looks like. She looks absolutely amazing. She told me she's a size 0, sometimes a 00. She's not skinny, but healthy with muscles. She doesn't have big bulky muscles, but small, perfectly formed, feminine muscles. You may be wondering why I would hate her for this. It's because the gym walls are mirrored, and when we stand there side by side as I do my exercises, I feel like a giant whale. I'm awkward, bulky and I feel like I take up too much space. When I compare our bodies, I don't even look like I'm from the same species. If I wasn't so self-conscious about my body, it probably wouldn't bother me at all, but I am and it does.
Second, apparently she's a sadist. Who knew? If she shows me an exercise and I tell her I hate it because it hurts too much (like lunges), she writes it down in her little book and puts a smiley face next to it. That means that exercise will be incorporated into my training program. I'm finally learning to keep my fat mouth shut when I hate something, otherwise she'll make it something I have to do at every session. Apparently she has an attitude of no pain, no gain. I'm starting to think she's enjoying my agony.
Third, she probably weighs about 60 pounds less than me but she can lift almost twice the weight that I can lift. How humiliating is that? I've been working out for seven months and thought I was sort of in shape. It made me feel bad to see that I'm not as strong as I thought and that this tiny woman could lift so much more weight than me. I know she's a personal trainer and she spends hours in the gym, but it was still a surprise.
Seriously though, she's kicking my butt big time. My legs are like noodles tonight. They hurt and they burn and they scream out in agony when I walk. I know I told her I wanted to work on my thighs, hips, and butt, but I didn't realize that actually meant I'd have to "work".
In some ways I think it's a strange world I live in that I actually pay someone to force me to do things I really don't want to do. Things that hurt my body, things that make me sweat and gasp for breath. Yes, it is indeed a very strange world.
1 Hour strength training with personal trainer


4 comments:
I had a trainer who was awesome but secretly I was a little afraid of as his workouts were nuts. I stopped telling him if I hated something as it meant for sure we would be doing it again and again.
I think you're right. Sometimes I think that people who become personal trainers have some kind of hidden sadistic streak that they can't express in any other way.
It is funny that we would pay them to make us do things we don't want to do, but I know for at least me, that's probably the only way I'd ever do it!
I'm so proud of you for sticking with it! I know it can't be easy -In fact, it sounds like agony!
However, get the idea out of your head that you need to compare yourself to a size 0 or 00! Sometimes there is such a thing as too tiny!
Laura - too funny! That's exactly what Debbie does, the more I hate the exercise, the more she makes me do it. I'm learning though, don't complain, no matter how much it hurts.
Pamela - I know I'll never be a size 0, I'm not even sure I want to be that tiny and it's probably not possible - I don't have tiny bones. :) I'm going for a size 8 or maybe a 6.
It's just when I stand next to her, I feel so gargantuan, it's like I'm huge. She's super nice and I really like her a lot, and she's always complimentary to me about my weight loss. When I started in her aerobics class I weighed 240.
And you're right, I'd never work out this hard if she didn't make me, so I guess it's sort of blessing in a way.
~Diana
Sadism with a smile -- I think it's a job requirement!
Post a Comment