Yesterday I talked about seeking the help of a therapist that specializes in binge eating. I'm still rolling that idea around in my head. I'm not sure I can go into it with an open mind because for years I've said most therapists are quacks. Before I can trust one I need to overcome the stereotype I've developed in my head, and I'm not sure how to do that.
In the meantime I've been reading this blog. Melissa is getting help from a therapist that actually does specialize in binge eating, and it seems to really be helping her. Yesterday she wrote about being hungry and just sitting down and feeling the hunger. This is a quote from her 9/5 post where she talks about feeling hungry "To sit with it, absorb it, and let the uncomfortable feeling settle at the pit of my tummy, telling myself I won’t die if I allow myself to just feel it." Feel the hunger? Huh? All this time I thought it was "feed" the hunger, not "feel" the hunger.
She refers to this book, which I'm going to purchase today. I'm still not ready for a therapist, so I'll do what I always do when faced with a problem, try to educate myself the best I can from the available resources - in this case, a book, and Melissa's blog. I plan on reading the book this weekend because I have serious binge eating issues going on, as I proved once again last night at midnight (a post for another time because I don't want to re-visit that living nightmare right now).
You may have noticed I deleted my picture from my profile. I actually put several up this morning and then removed them. The truth is I hate my picture. I think I look old and not very attractive. My husband says I'm adorable, but doesn't he have to say that? I mean, he's my husband, good husbands say those things. Or he has blinders on and can't really see me like I see me. Yes, I have image issues, I know that, and body issues. And yes, I guess I could use the help of a good therapist. So if you know of one in the Seattle area, please email me their name.


0 comments:
Post a Comment