When the brain is improvising, the large section responsible for monitoring one's performance shuts down, as indicated by the large blue region in the image on bottom row, second from right. Conversely, a much smaller, centrally located region at the foremost part of the brain increases in activity, which is indicated by the two yellow spots at the top of the image on the top row, second from right. This part of the brain is involved in self-initiated thoughts and behaviors. Image courtesy of Charles Limb/Johns Hopkins University
The picture above is probably what my brain looked like yesterday when I lost control. The section responsible for monitoring my performance shut down. Bad brain!
I'm pretty mad at myself at the moment. I ate like a fat, little piggie yesterday, stuffing myself until I was almost sick. I ate too much of everything, including the following: pecans (four, yes four, big handfuls), Weight Watcher ice cream bars (five!), multi-grain crackers (half a box), Baby Babel Light cheese (six mini-rounds), low-fat swiss cheese (three deli slices), fruit (I lost count), cold leftover mahi mahi (2 fillets), plus a healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner (after all, didn't want the husband to know I'd lost my mind).
It was sort of a weird day. We stayed home and did chores, meaning my husband worked on the yard all day (which included cutting down a 30-foot tree), and I did housework, a task I detest and it makes me grouchy. In between loads of laundry, scrubbing bathrooms, scrubbing floors, and dusting, I managed to find time to stuff my face big time. I didn't count Points and I didn't work out. I was the old, fat-girl. Apparently, she's alive and well, and came out in full force yesterday.
Today I feel more in control, and surprise, I'm not even hungry. Probably because I still have a few thousand extra calories floating around in my system. The plan for today is simple, go to the gym this morning, hit Costco and the regular grocery store, then get stuff ready for our weekly trip to Mt. Rainier tomorrow. My husband went into work today because of a project he's on, so I'm on my own for most of the day. I think I'll be busy enough to not think about food too much, at least I sure hope so. A continuation of yesterday just isn't acceptable.
I also I haven't weighed in at Weight Watchers since my car accident on August 12, and I haven't been weighing every day here at home. I stepped on the scale once last week and was up three pounds. I thought to hell with it, I'm just not going to look anymore (this is a sign that all is not well in my food world). Well, that has to stop too. There aren't any Weight Watcher centers open today, at least not around here, and they're all closed tomorrow, but I can weigh in Wednesday at 7:30am at the one down the street. I'm sure it won't be pretty, but I have to face the music, or in this case, the scales.
I'm hoping I only lost my mind temporarily. I hope my sanity is back to stay, at least for a while.



2 comments:
Oh, Diana! I'm sorry I've been MIA, but am hoping to catch up on all that's going on with you now. I'm also sorry to hear that you've been struggling, too! Hopefully I haven't been sending you psychic vibes to eat like I have been, because it sounds like we've been on the same wavelength again. I hope things are going better and that you both had fun on your Mt. Rainier trip!
Pamela - I'm glad you're back and had a great vacation. Yes, I'm struggling but hopefully that'll change soon. :)
Diana
Post a Comment