If anyone thinks 20 pounds isn't very much weight, try strapping it on your back and hiking up a mountain for four miles and then back down. Twenty pounds is a lot of weight!
Yesterday we went hiking again at Mt. Rainier. I had the brilliant idea that if I carried a 20-pound pack I would burn more calories. About five minutes into the hike I realized I was an idiot. Burn more calories, yes, have more pain, OH YES! My husband, who obviously has the brains in this marriage, opted not to carry a pack, but only a water bottle in a side holster and a couple of snacks in his pocket.
I carried emergency supplies that probably would have lasted us a week, just in case we got lost, which by the way, would NEVER happen. This was a very well-marked and well-traveled trail. When I complained about how heavy my backpack was and that it was killing me (and I did this more than a few times), my husband graciously offered to carried it for me. I insisted I could do it. I managed to carry it for the entire hike, but today I'm so completely exhausted that I can barely function. I really just want to go lay on the couch and never move again.
In spite of my pain today, I know why I like hiking so much. It's hard work and logically, no human being would desire to unnecessarily punish themself by hiking up a mountain unless there were some significant rewards. This is what makes it worth all the pain:
1.) The views are indescribable. Pictures can't even begin to show how amazing it is up at Mt. Rainier. I love the outdoors and I particularly love snow-covered mountains. It must be the Alaska girl in me.
2.) It's a challenge, and gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I feel "athletic" when I hike eight miles over very rough terrain. After a particularly strenuous two-mile, very steep portion of the hike over very rough trail, we got to the top of the Second Burroughs. This put us directly in front of Mt. Rainier where I felt like I could reach out and touch it, I looked around at about ten people that were there. Every person was very physically fit. You wouldn't be able to make the hike if you weren't at least somewhat in shape. It made me feel good about all those gym workouts.
3.) It encourages me to keep working out during the week and losing weight. I can only imagine how much easier this hike would be if I could lose another 38 pounds and was at goal. At the end of the hike when I took off the 20-pound backpack I felt as light as a feather, like I was just going to float away.
4.) The best part of hiking is that my husband and I really communicate on these hikes. We're not "heads down gotta get to the destination" kind of hikers. We stop along the way, enjoy the views, and we talk about everything, without any distractions except the scenery. My husband makes every big rock along the trail a kissing rock and there are a lot of big rocks. We really enjoy being together, and it makes us much closer as a couple.
Even though I sort of feel like shit today, it was totally worth it. I can hardly wait for next weekend. We decided as long as it's not raining, we'll be going up to Mt. Rainier every weekend until the park closes in October. We want to get our money's worth for that $30 season pass. This has been the best investment in our marriage we've ever made (and that trip to Vegas). A bonus is that it's very good exercise without feeling like exercise, and it sure as hell beats that boring treadmill!


0 comments:
Post a Comment