Friday, August 1, 2008

Life is good

Today is the Friday before my two-week vacation, and I'm over the moon happy. Work has been unusually stressful lately. I work for an airline and things have been tense with the announcement last week of a second quarter loss in the millions, and that 5% of salaried employees would be laid off on August 15 (I'm a salaried employee). Today our VP announced our annual divisional summer picnic had been canceled. I know it's a small thing but it was just the icing on the proverbial cake to finish up a really crappy last couple of weeks. I desperately need this vacation.

The first week I'll be in Fairbanks, Alaska visiting family. I have a great family. When we all get together there's about 22 of us, and they're loads of fun. We can talk for hours about everything in the world, joking and laughing. It's always good times when I go home. I'll be staying with my sister and brother-in-law about 30 miles outside of Fairbanks. They live on 400 acres of gorgeous Alaskan wilderness, that has a river that runs through it (I know, that's a movie, but it's the truth). Whenever I visit there's usually a moose, or a moose and a couple calves in their front yard, or crossing the river.

We'll go swimming in their man-made pond, an Alaskan version of the swimming pool they had made for the grandkids. We'll go for walks through the woods with their two foo-foo dogs, with my brother-in-law carrying a 44 magnum because you never know what you'll run into. We'll hit the state fair with the kids (my nieces children), and of course, everyone loves to eat out. My brother-in-law would eat out every meal if my sister would let him. And we'll visit this place that I love.

My brother lives in North Pole, just outside of Fairbanks and about 15 miles from my sister's house. I adore my brother. He's the coolest guy you'd ever want to meet, and he can make me laugh like no one else. I can't wait to see him.

When I get home from Fairbanks it looks like the husband and I are going to Vegas. This is my husband's idea, Vegas in August. We were in Vegas in August about 20 years, and it was about a million degrees. I remember it well because the A/C went out on our car. I thought this must be what hell feels like, so hot you think you're going to melt. He said it'll be fine because we'll be in a hotel most of the time. I still think San Diego is a better option, but he has his heart set on Vegas, so I guess Vegas it will be. I read an article last night on how to make your husband happy, it was kind of funny, but it also made a lot of sense. So I'll concede on this small thing if it makes him happy. Keep in mind, I'm sort of a bitch most of the time, but I'm trying to be a better wife, really, I am.

1 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh my gosh, just thinking of the heat makes me sweat! I know you'll both have a blast, though! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for working A/C!