Friday, June 20, 2008

Trains, Planes, Ferries and Buses


I'm a software developer and yesterday my team went on a team-building trip. Nine of us met at the Sea-tac airport at 6am for our 6:30am flight and were back in Seattle at 8:30pm. Fourteen hours of making small talk with people I work with every day. All I can say is, thank God it's over!

The highlight of my day was when we had lunch at a seafood restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. I know, the highlight should have been the ferry ride or the tour of Alcatraz, or the beautiful scenery of the San Francisco Bay and the Golden Gate bridge, but I'm a foodie, what can I say. I had a Seared Ahi Tuna salad, it was raw strips of tuna that were slightly seared, served on a bed of cabbage, lettuce and shredded red peppers, with wasabi dressing and pickled ginger. I've never had anything so delicious in my life. This recipe looks very similar, and I love that it's for just one serving (my husband refuses to eat raw fish, which I just don't understand because it's so good). I'm going to figure out the Points, but it looks like it will be a low-Point meal. I can't wait to make it, probably this weekend.

I didn't have breakfast since I left the house to catch the bus to the airport at 4:30am. It was the first time I've taken public transportation to the airport or to anywhere and the last time - a story in itself. I only did it because a coworker was doing it with me, but I have to say, it was dreadful! By noon I was starving, which might be why I thought this salad was the best thing I've ever eaten in my life.

Overall, it was actually a fun trip. Maybe a little too much togetherness and too long of a day, but we laughed and joked all day and had a really great time. The weather was perfect, sunny and warm, in the high 70s. I got a sunburn on my face and arms, but it's not peeling and is turning tan. A little dose of skin cancer. None of us even thought about sunscreen, I mean, we are from Seattle. What's sunscreen? Here are a few pictures from the trip.

This weekend was suppose to be my Midnight Sun Fun Run in Fairbanks, but I'm too exhausted. The flu knocked me down for nine days, then the trip yesterday was fun, but tiring. I don't know how many miles I walked, but just to get to Fisherman's Wharf we walked 24 city blocks from downtown San Francisco, half of it up very steep hills. I just can't get on another airplane for a 3 1/2 hour flight to Fairbanks and then run 10k. I want to stay home. I want things back to normal. Normal food and normal exercise and just a normal life. The last couple weeks my life has been out of whack. Normal is good.

1 comments:

Pamela said...

How fun! I'm so jealous (although I don't know if I'd want to spend that much quality time with my co-workers). I've never been to California and have always wanted to go to Alcatraz. Hopefully some day! I'm with your husband on the raw fish - I just can't bring myself to do it!