Sunday, June 15, 2008

Run Diana Run!

I did it, I just got back from an hour jog/run/walk - outside! The weather is beautiful today, 70 degrees with sunshine. I just couldn't force myself to the gym, plus outdoor running is much more challenging than a treadmill. I was gone for an hour and jogged most of it, probably 45 minutes, and a few running sprints, and some walking because my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest and I had to slow down. My heart rate monitor said 158 several times but I don't think that's humanly possible since my resting pulse is 50. I think it might be broken (the heart rate monitor, not my heart).

I only had a few coughing fits, but overall, I did pretty good. At first I didn't want to do it, and tried my best to talk myself out it with the old "but I'm still sick!" routine. I'm not sick and can't use that excuse anymore. I have some minor symptoms of the flu/cold thing I had, but nothing to prevent me from exercising. I also had to have the conversation with myself that exercise isn't optional, just like brushing my teeth isn't optional. It's something I have to do every single day of my life, for the rest of my life.

My latest favorite running song is I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry. It has the perfect beat for my jogging speed and even though I have a playlist with about 30 great running songs, I'll play this one over and over because I can really get in the zone with it.

Postscript: Whoa! I just logged my route into mapmyrun.com and it was 4.6 miles. I took a lot of extra loops and streets that I normally don't do, with lots of hills too. My usual route is only three miles. 4.6 mph isn't too shabby for someone just getting back into the swing of things. Maybe 5 mph is a possibility for me. Heck, I guess anything is possible if I work towards it!

1 comments:

Pamela said...

You are SUCH a major inspiration to me. You are an exercising demon! The mere thought of jogging makes my knees creak and threaten to crumble. You should be especially proud of yourself for doing so much after just getting over a terrible cold! And you're right! Anything is possible!