Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day off from the gym...NOT

Well, my girlfriend flaked on me for our walk today, she said she forgot her shoes. So I hit the gym all by myself. I sort of like going by myself because I only have to worry about my schedule, not everyone elses. I decided to run for an entire 30 minutes on the treadmill...and I did it! Technically, it's probably not called running. I looked in the Weight Watcher exercise journal and running is 5.5 mph and above, so I was actually jogging. I started at 4.2 mph, incline 1, after five minutes went to 4.6 mph, incline 2. And stayed there until the last two minutes when I upped it to 5 mph.

I was drenched with sweat! I also slung sweat all over the treadmill while I was running (gross!). I cleaned it up when I was done like a good gym rat. My gray tank top was soaked, and I was overheated and red-faced, but I really felt like I accompished something. Jogging is challenging, but I love it. It makes me feel strong.

I also did some weights, using 10-pound, 12-pound, and yes, 15-pound dumbells. I was actually able to use the 15-pound dumbells without too much effort, which really surprised me. I only did 12 reps with them, but still, what an improvement. I remember when 5-pounds was a struggle for me.

So I didn't take a day off like I said I was going to do. I'm sort of flip-flopping on whether that's really necessary. If I have the time and I'm willing to go every day, and as long as I alternate cardio with weights, I don't think it's necessary to actually take a day off.

0 comments: