That's what my personal trainer told me tonight. I looked at her like she'd grown two heads. I mean, are you freaking kidding me?!
I average five to six hours of cardio a week, and I also do at least three hours of strength a week. I spend a lot of time at three different gyms and I work hard, always pushing myself to go faster, lift heavier.
Tonight it was like it all caught up with me. I am tired. My workout tonight wasn't good. I felt weak and exhausted. Debbie had me doing a lot of lunges with different variations. I almost fell over a couple of times when I lost my balance. This isn't like me, normally I'm pretty strong with good balance but tonight I just didn't have it.
We talked about my routine, how much I'm working out and how I should reduce my amount of cardio to half-hour sessions instead of one-hour sessions. Debbie thinks I have a bit of a problem with working out, being that I'm somewhat obsessed.
I realized she's right. Over the years I've gone through bouts of extreme exercise, usually lasting anywhere from six months to a year, until I burn out, quit, and regain any weight I've lost, twice it was over 100 pounds.
So perhaps Debbie is on to something. I just don't know how I can deal with decreasing my workouts to less than an hour of cardio. She told me on Thursday she'll show me how to kick butt in 30 minutes of cardio. Gosh, I can hardly wait.


3 comments:
Hi I'm new to blogging and probably doing this all wrong but I just wanted to say how similar that sounds to my own experiences with working out and burning out. I can't wait to see how you'll do with 30 minutes!
Hi Diana! It does sound like you're working out a lot, and I'm sure your trainer probably knows what she's talking about. I tend to get that way about things I get obsessed about, too. I'll be completely obsessed with it for months and then just stop. I don't know if it's from boredom or just giving it my all for so long that there's nothing left to give. I even do that with hobbies. I'll start one, get all excited about it, be obsessed for several months and then never pick it up again (or at least for a long while).
But I know that whether you're working out for an hour or just 30 minutes, you're going to kick butt! I hope to try to write you an e-mail later! Take care!
tripping through your archives still, Diane! Wow, I am SO like this with everything I do. Tonight I started to raise the treadmill speed, and I realized after 30 minutes or so there was no real reason to. I am not on a plateau, I'm losing weight and I'm happy. And I'm not Lance Armstrong...lol. I'm looking forward to reading on and seeing how you handled this one!
Post a Comment