Every time I start to think I'm really getting in shape, that I'm developing muscles and I'm fit, something happens to slap me back down to reality. Yes, I'm definitely in much better shape than eight months ago, but I have so far to go.
Tonight it was a 45-minute spinning class. I've been going to a spinning/step aerobics class on Fridays. I also work out two hours a week with a personal trainer and three additional hours on my own. So a 45-minute spinning class should be a cake walk for me, right? Ha. Ha.
I sort of knew I was in trouble when I looked around the room at about 15 people and realized I was the least fit person there and also the fattest and the oldest. I weigh 167 and am 53 years old. Probably the next heaviest female weighed about 130, and I'd guess the average age, maybe 30. Surprisingly the class was about a third men.
The sweet instructor, who looked like she was 20 came over and talked to me before the class. I told her I'd been working out for eight months and should be okay. She told me she was known as the toughest spinning instructor so to take it easy if it was too much for me. I thought okay, I'm the oldest, fattest person here, but damn it, I can do this.
I did it, I kept up, but man oh man, it was hard! The music was super fast and we had to keep pedaling to the beat of the music. I was literally one giant puddle by the end of the class.
Not bad for a 53-year old fat chick.
Exercise 10/21/2008:
45 minutes spinning class
30 minutes strength
2 x 12 pushups <-- hate these!
3 x 15 crunches


5 comments:
53-year old fat chick, my butt. Okay, I'll give you the 53-year part, because that's pretty much a fact, but the fat chick part - no way!
I am seriously impressed that you did so great at that class! I would have been a puddle within 5 minutes and there's no way I would have made it through the entire thing.
And you know what? I think that instead of this experience making you feel like you aren't fit, it has proven to you that you are! You kept up with a bunch of people that you didn't think you could keep up with! You should be so proud of yourself! I probably would have turned around and left if everyone had been my OWN age. :o)
Ah, thanks Pamela. I did feel petty good about it and although it was difficult, it was completely do-able. Which sort of surprised me about myself. I felt like I was spinning with the big boys and girls. :)
That's amazing. I'd be taken out on a stretcher after the first ten minutes.
wow!! good for you!!!!! i know there is no way i'm ready for a spin class yet but you have inspired me!!! look how much you rock!!
I'm impressed. Me in a spinning class? I don't think so. I still haven't mastered my elliptical.
Post a Comment