Monday, October 6, 2008

Day 5 - no binge

I can't believe it but yesterday was my fifth binge-free day in a row. I had sort of a lazy day, didn't do much but read blogs and a few household chores. Stayed within my Points and journaled. 


About 10pm I felt sort of hungry, so I decided to be proactive and prevent a binge. I'm really into this pumpkin yogurt that I've been reading about on several blogs. It's great because 1/2 cup of pumpkin is zero Points. I add it to 1 Activia vanilla yogurt, a packet of Splenda, some cinnamon and a dash of vanilla. Mix it all up and then add a cut-up piece of 1 Point fruit. I use any kind of fruit, usually a banana, but I've also tried a peach, nectarine, and an apple. It's actually really good, very filling, and healthy. Plus, it's a huge serving and only two Points. Most important, it seems to knock the thought of a binge right out of my head.

I know a lot of people say to not eat after 8pm, including Oprah and a lot of magazine articles and books. My theory on that is it's great if you can do that, more power to you. But I'm a night eater. My binges happen at night, so if a late night snack can stop an impending binge, I'm all over it. 

I also have a theory that it's calories in and calories out, and it's not that big of a deal when you eat them. In a perfect world I would stop eating at 8pm, but in a perfect world I would never binge and would be thin, beautiful and rich. I don't live in a perfect world. 

Exercise yesterday was great. I went to my old, original gym, a Bally's that's about six miles from my home. My regular Bally's is about two miles from home, and I also go to the YMCA by my work. I forgot how much bigger and nicer my old gym is compared to my new gym. I loved it! The weight room must be at least five times larger with high ceilings. It wasn't muggy and icky in the weight room, but nice and cool with giant ceiling fans. Plus they had the old fashioned Stairmaster climbing machine. I love that thing, it's like climbing real stairs. 

My workout started with 40 minutes on the elliptical. It said I burned 520 calories but I think that was broken. My heart rate monitor said 310, probably more accurate. 12 minutes on the climbing machine, I was aiming for 20 but it was killing me! Then I lifted weights for 40 minutes doing many of the new exercises my personal trainer showed me. I also used the semi-private area with mats and did some push ups, and the modified plank and side plank, and my old standby, concentrated bicep curls. It was a great workout!

Today the plan is hit the gym at lunch, or if that's not possible then the old Bally's after work which is right on  my way home. And to stay OP and journal. Journaling really seems to help me stay OP. The other thing I want to do today is Lyn's Habit a Day challenge and get in my 72 oz. of water which is how much I should be drinking (and haven't been) according to this Hydration calculator posted on Lyn's web site.

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

Paige said...

I am with you on the eating after 8 thing. I'm always grabbing a snack around 8:30 or 9 - usually yogurt (so your pumpkin idea sounds awesome!) I did that all last week and managed weight loss, so I think for my body eating after 8 pm is not a big deal :)

Have a good day!

Roxy said...

I looked at your before and after pictures, wow you are fantastic! Keep up the good work!!