For months I've been ranting about how great he is, how funny, how smart, how witty and entertaining. How he always has great ideas and he's just the best leader ever. The last three meetings have sucked, and now I find his hyena laughter annoying.
How did this happen? He's the same person as he was eight months ago. Is it like a great lover that you look past their flaws because they have so many great qualities you think the flaws just don't matter? Then one day you realize, hey, wait a minute, they do matter and he's bugging the hell out of me.
Three weeks ago it was the soup meeting. I was bored to tears. Two weeks ago I can't even tell you what it was about because it was so boring I don't remember. Last night it was about framing, but guess what, he lost his notes so he had to wing it. Another 30 minutes of my life wasted.
One thing that has come up meeting after meeting is about how much he hates exercise. If you lose weight and he asks "what worked for you last week girlfriend?" (and that girlfriend business is getting old!). If you say you worked out six days a week he rolls his eyes and says "next!". That annoys the hell out of me because as far as I'm concerned exercise is a crucial piece of the program.
So I think we're breaking up. Both of my girlfriends have dropped out, one lost seven pounds in eight months and the other gained five pounds. Recently they told me they just weren't feeling it and were quitting. Well, I'm just not feeling it either with this leader so I'm quitting him.
There's a meeting closer to my house where the leader is fantastic. She's a former drug user (she was a critical care nurse), gained 100 pounds, then got off drugs and totally turned her life around. She's very inspirational and a great speaker. Suzy Preston, one of the runner-ups from Biggest Loser, actually attends the Saturday morning meetings. Suzy is the one that married Matt, the winner of I think the second season, and they recently had a baby.
So you know where I'll be this Saturday at 7am.


6 comments:
Leadership at meetings is very important. I think maybe they just get 'burnt out' and have so many other things going on. I use to leave work on Friday mornings at 9:00am to attend my morning meeting. The leader was older & the crowd was in their seventies! I enjoyed the meetings, but I didn't really connect with the leader. Once we got our Thursday night meeting back, I began attending that meeting. I really hate weighing at night, but I love our leader! She is in her mid thirties, and the crowd ranges from 20's-80's & everyone is so eager & willing to participate. I cannot remember one meeting where I felt bored, or as if I was wasting my time. You should definitely attend the other meeting! I love your blog & I sometimes have trouble kicking the binge monster's butt...thanks for all of your wonderful advice & you are doing so well!!!
Ella
Let us all know how the new meeting goes. I've avoided weight watchers because it seems to me to be a lot of BS. I mean, you pay money to be part of a program, then get a less representative, less diverse, and more restrictive group of people than you can get on any blog or mailing list leading you to do what the PROGRAM wants you to do rather than what works best for YOU.
seems to me I could find better use for membership money, although I do know that some people benefit from the personal interaction. Sounds to me that you have a pretty interesting split: One friend loses weight, one gains, and one tries elsewhere... could be the results of any random population.
I'm sorry that you're having to break up with your leader, but it sounds like it might actually be for the best. I mean, a meeting that's closer and has a better leader? Sounds perfect. I would think that a good WW leader would stress the importance of exercise along with eating right. I hate to exercise, but I still know that it is important.
Plus, possibly getting to meet Suzy can't be all bad, either! ;o) I didn't see her season, but have seen her on later seasons and in a couple of interviews and always thought she seemed really nice. I can't wait to hear how the new meeting goes. But 7am? Yikes that's early! :o)
I want to go to that 7am class with you. My leader lost 14 pounds to become a lifetime member, and she is the most condescending person in the world! But, my receptionist is to die for, so maybe it is a wash :)
OOOh. I just looked Suzy up. I liked her and she's so cute!
I've been there and made the mistake of not changing meetings. I won't do that one again!!
Post a Comment