I'm not sure how I'm staying awake to type this since I'm totally exhausted. Tomorrow is my last personal training session (she gave me an 11th session for free). In preparation of our separation, my trainer prepared a workout routine for me. Instead of going in and going all willy nilly and doing whatever I feel like when I'm on my own, she gave me specific strength and cardio to do each day.
Tonight was legs and shoulders, supersets. My strength routine took a freaking one hour and 45 minutes, and I was literally running from machine to free weights and back again. I somehow managed to get through it, but oh my God, how I hurt. My shoulders, my arms, my butt (lunges with a twist), my legs, it all hurts. My leg muscles even burn (I know it was those lunges). Maybe I'm too old to be working out this hard. Maybe my body should just be laying on a couch somewhere and resting. I'm 53, who knows how much time I have left. Perhaps I'm wearing out my body prematurely.
Speaking of old, someone told me today that I should cut my hair short. Something to the effect that women my age should have shorter hair and wear longer skirts. Something about short hair is sexier on older women. Is it really?
I took an email poll this afternoon with seven of my friends, five women and two men (not including my husband, he's a long hair fan). Each person sent back a "NO! Don't cut your hair!". Then I thought, well, that's the nice thing to say and I have nice friends. They probably wouldn't be honest and say the truth, "yes, whack off that stringy, nasty mess!", even if they were thinking it.
I've been toying with the idea of cutting my hair for several months. I have a long, thin face and as I lost weight it got longer. Long hair doesn't look that great on me. On the other hand, I've had long hair for years. If you look at my high school pictures (over 30 years ago), I have exactly the same hairstyle as I do today. I guess I'm stuck in the seventies. I did have different styles over the years, in college I had the Farah Fawcett hair for a while, went short, went long, permed, short again, then the last ten years it hasn't changed, long and straight.
I go this fancy salon where my stylist and colorist charge a small fortune. My cut is pretty basic, no precision cutting is needed. I guess I'm paying for the ambiance of the salon and the free Market Spice tea because it sure isn't my haircut.
If you're reading this, please tell me what you think, cut it or not cut it? How short, super short, above shoulders, layered? Is short hair sexier on older women? Will I look like a boy with short hair? What do you think?


9 comments:
Diana, Diana, what a crock! (I mean that in the most loving way possible, of course.) You aren't too old! I swear, you're younger than I am! You can certainly move easier than I can! You're like superwoman!
My grandma and great-aunt have always harped on about women wearing long hair after a certain age. My mom loves long hair and has had long hair most of her life and they're always after her to cut it. Even women younger than me, they start to say "oh you should cut your hair."
I think your hair is beautiful, but I also think you should do what YOU want to do. Not what your friends say or even what your hubby says (I remember you posting a while back about how he wants it long and blond forever, while you'd like to cut it). If you do decide to go shorter (and no you couldn't look like a boy!), then I would suggest maybe not going farther than your shoulders to start. If you go shorter than that, it might be too much of a shock! Believe me! I know from experience. All through high school, my hair was practically past my butt. Luckily, I cut it shoulder-length first before going shorter or I know I really would have freaked. But regardless of what you do, you'll look gorgeous!
I definitely think that older women look a lot better with shorter hair. As long as you wear a little makeup and earrings, then you definitely will not look like a boy.
My plan is that once I hit 40, my hair will stay short forever. Sure, I'll let it grow a little in the winter but as soon as summer comes, super short here I come! Maybe I should also mention that I live in south Louisiana so we don't have much of a winter. ;o)
Because you have always had long hair, I wouldn't go super short just yet. Try right above your shoulders, wait a couple of months and then go a little shorter. Just keep doing that until your comfortable with a style.
I was always scared to cut my hair because my mom always told me that the shorter my hair would be the fatter my face would look. To me, it's so the opposite. I find the longer my hair is the worst I look.
I'm 33 and right now my hair is cut in the same style as Jamie Lee Curtis. Here's a picture of the specific style I have.
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm807246336/nm0000130
I absolutely love it. My hair was down to the middle of my back and I cut it all off in May.
Just keep in mind that once you go short, it's hard to go back long again. You get really spoiled with how quick and easy it is for your hair to look really good!
Good luck and have fun! And remember, it's only hair. It'll grow back if you don't like it!
Why not go middle of the road. Get a bit cut off and change the style and then if you think you want to go shorter then you can, otherwise you can just grow it out again.
I've had long hair all my life and just recently got it all chopped off. First it was an angled bob then I went really short. I've figured out that I like it longer in the front and shorter in the back (with still keeping the image of some length).
My hair is also naturally curly so I like it long enough so that if I choose to wear it curly I can, without looking like a fried poodle!
Good luck with whatever you choose.
Diana, I think your hair is beautiful now, I have always loved long hair. I also have a narrow face when I am slimmer I tend to cut my hair a little shorter. I agree completely with Pamela! It is a complete crock to think that at a certain age ALL women should cut their hair! We would all look the same. You should do whatever you think is best for you. I have to find the link, but my sister goes to a web site where you can take a picture of yourself & put hundreds of different hairstyles, glasses, etc. to see how you would actually look with that style. I will find the link for you. All I can say about your workout is WOW. You are truly amazing in that gym. I know lots of people HALF your age that wouldn't even attempt the things you do!
i vote short.
While I don't agree that women should cut their hair at a certain age. Every woman is different, so its silly for people to say that older women look sexier with shorter hair. It really is individual. That being said, change is always nice and I think a middle level cut would look great on you. Maybe something just above the shoulders?
Just my two cents. :)
I don't know about "shoulds" but a lot of people have complimented my shorter hair and said it makes me look younger...
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and suggestions. My hair photographs better than it looks in person and it doesn't really look that great in photos.
Anyway, I'm definitely going shorter. I have an appointment on Sat. for cut/color. I'm thinking about changing the color too. The last time I had all my hair cut off (about 15 years ago) and had it colored a deep auburn (which I totally loved), my husband's response was 'what the hell happened to your hair'. I cried.
I'm a different person than I was 15 years ago. It's not that I don't care what he thinks, it's just that I care more what I think.
And did I mention I voted for Obama and he hates Obama and voted for McCain.
Things are changing around here. :)
Go Diana! I love how you're taking control of your own decisions. I'm proud of you! I can't wait to see your new look!
Post a Comment