Sunday, December 7, 2008

A swift kick in my butt

Last week I posted a rather bitchy comment on this guy's blog. I never do that, but I was tired of hearing about how he tries and fails at his weight loss attempts, over and over again, month after month. His many fans posted supportive comments, telling him it's okay, he's still doing great and he'll do better next week. I've read similar posts and similar comments many times during the last several months.


He had tremendous success the first half of the year, but then he started slipping. I want to see this guy succeed, I want him to get serious with his weight loss. So I left a tough comment, but it really is because I care about him. It's funny how in this cyber world where I read blogs of people I don't really know, that I have come to actually care about them. I want them to be successful. Maybe because if I see them being successful, it gives me hope for myself. 

I've been at this since February 12, 2008. It's been almost 10 months, and I should be a lot closer to my own goal of 135 pounds. I went to Weight Watchers this morning and when I stepped on the scale, I held my breath. I expected at least a five-pound gain. Why? Because even though I've been exercising faithfully, and eating healthy food, I haven't been journaling my food or controlling my portion sizes. 

I also had a Skinny Cow encounter the past two nights. I bought a box of Skinny Cows from Costco Friday (first mistake). Last night I was reading the label on my fifth Skinny Cow (yes, that's right...I ate five of them in one sitting!). Some of the main ingredients:  skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup. Could I eat anything less healthy? I was positive I had gained weight.

When the receptionist said I was down 1.2 pounds I felt like I'd won the lottery. I was so relieved that I was doing the happy dance. Current weight 166.2. Now that I'm home and thinking about it, I really shouldn't be that happy. Okay, so I didn't gain weight, but I really should be on the other side of 160, in the 150's. That was my goal for the end of the year.

So if I was posting a comment on my own blog, this is what I would say:

So Diana, you're feeling pretty good about your 1.2 pound loss. Looking at your stats that's what,  an 8.6 pound loss since August 1? In four months you lost 8.6 pounds. That's an average of about two pounds a month. Um, not to knock you off your high horse, but that kind of sucks. I don't think you should be so thrilled about such a pathetic weight loss. 

I know, you're thinking 73 pounds in ten months is pretty good, but you could have and should have done so much better. It's time you knuckle down and really get serious about the program. 

You have 50% of the plan down, you exercise a lot, you're faithful to working out five to six hours a week, every week, hard cardio, heavy weights for strength (20-pound dumbell concentration curls are nothing to sneeze at). You're great about exercising. Good job.

You know what to eat and how much to eat. You're basically good about your food choices. Except for that Skinny Cow incident the last two nights, what the hell was that about? The problem is how much you're eating. You simply cannot eat until you feel full. Weigh and measure, if you bite it, you write it. You know what to do, so damn it, do it! 

Stop screwing around. This isn't a game, so stop playing like it is one. It's about your life, your goal to living a long and healthy life. I'm only saying this because I care.

So there's my swift kick in my butt, from me, to me. Please feel free to add your own comments. Kicks in the butt are needed sometimes and appreciated, although sometimes it's difficult to hear the truth. Please, no one say I'm being too hard on myself. I've been screwing off for months, it's time to get down to business.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... what a great blog. I am SO HAPPY someone blogged about something I've been too chicken to blog about (or comment). I so totally agree with you - tough love is the best medicine. No one is helping that guy (or you) by saying "It's okay, don't worry about the Skinny Cow incident, you'll do better next week". Um, h-e-double-hockey-sticks you'll do better next week! Girl, you WILL reach the 150's by the end of the year. You know you can do it. You know what you need to do to do it. So, go do it already :) Can't wait to come back and see you kick a-double snakes! :)

P.S. I'm here by way of the Biggest Loser Blog Edition.

Ron said...

Wow, you beat me to it... I have been wanting to tell you that for a week now..... Just kidding... I gotta tell you I feel that I pretty much eat what daily points I am allowed, I do not use the extra or activity points and I exercise 6 days a week,and I really feel like my weight is coming off rather slowly, but it is coming off, so I am not too worried, but often wonder what I should or could do differently. On previous other "diets" I could predict how much I was gonna lose in a certian length of time. Weight loss with this lifestyle change in my opinion has been unpredictable. However, get after it and get down into the 150's!!

Angela Power said...

Diana: thank you so much for your comment today, it really made me smile :-)

I love your post and you are 100% right on girl!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Hey..Just wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog for a while now. I have many of the same issues, my major one being bingeing at night. I decided to start my own blog as a form of self-therapy. I had an incident Saturday night and it really does suck to have to report it on the blog! Hope you check it out :)

www.missymaintains.blogspot.com

Skye-Lynn said...

Girl, you are a trip! But hey, whatever works for you, right? :o)

At least I got a laugh out of you being so mean to yourself! LOL

Pamela said...

Diana, I won't say you're being too hard on yourself, though I will say that I think you've lost an amazing amount of weight.

Only you know what you need to hear to do better and if a swift kick in the butt is what you need, then you should have that! For me personally, every time someone tried to give me a kick in the butt like that in the past, it only made me want to eat more.

I have no doubt that you're going to reach your goals!