This is my first week of trying to do my workout before work. It's killing me!
I'm really not a morning person. I never set an alarm, but I usually wake up at 6am without one. I like to take my time waking up and getting ready for work. I don't like feeling rushed the first thing in the morning. I like my coffee and quiet.
Because of afternoon meetings at work, it's not conducive to a noon workout like I've been doing for months. I shower at the gym, but my hair and makeup (what's left of the makeup) are a mess. I don't look professional, I look harried and not put together. I usually come running into the office after the gym with my hair still wet from the shower and no makeup. I look like a different person than the one that arrived in the morning. I'm not making a good impression.
The alternative is a workout before work. OH MY GOD! I hate it! Hate it! Hate it! How do you people do it?
First of all, there's that GD alarm clock going off at 5 frickin' AM. This morning I just wanted to smash that thing to pieces. Then there's my husband that wants to go to the gym with me. I know I should be happy about this, I've been trying to get him to the gym for months. But remember, I like quiet in the morning, I don't like a lot of conversation. Ha! Shoots that concept right to hell.
Then there's the cold, the freezing, chilled to the bone cold. The temperature has been hovering just above freezing at 5am. I may be from Alaska but there's a reason I left that place, I don't like the cold.
The other little thing I don't like about the AM workout is I'm about 100 times hungrier than normal by noon. Yes, that's right...I said by noon! Usually the 'I'm starving to death--going to die of hunger' pains don't start until late in the day or evening. A small snack doesn't help. I'm really craving a side of beef, I don't mean a side dish of beef, but half a cow kind of side of beef (I don't eat beef, but you get the idea).
There are some pros:
1. the gym is empty (but that will end Jan. 2)
2. there's lots of parking up front
3. my workout is over with and out of the way first thing in the morning
4. it saves water because of one less shower during the day, good for the environment
5. I don't look like something the cat dragged in for my afternoon meetings
6. I have free time at lunch (big deal, so now I eat lunch at my desk, during my lunch hour, like everyone else)
I don't know if this is going to work out for me. I tried working out after work but I don't like getting home at 8pm, plus I found I spent too much time at the gym, my hour workouts turned in one and a half hours or two hours. In the morning or at lunch I have a set amount of time and can't go over it. I'm giving this morning thing a week to see how it goes. Right now I'm going home and going to bed...I'm exhausted.


4 comments:
Hey Diana, I wish I had encouraging words for you on this subject, but unfortunately I don't. :o( I also despise mornings! And I am not very pleasant either.
I agree, I don't know how they do it. Because like you, I am starving afterwords. I also get really sleepy around noon.
I am so proud of you though for listing the positives. My suggestion would be to focus on that list if you really don't want to work out in the evenings.
On a positive note, please check out my blog when you get a chance. You have a FABULOUS award waiting for you! :o)
Hey Diana, I have always been a morning person so it has never been a problem for me. I wake up at 4:45 AM without and alarm clock. Even on weekends(not a good thing) but since I wake up I just as well go exercise. Currently I don't go to a gym tho, I have a treadmill and a good set of dumbbells that you can adjust the weights on, that I use for my full body workout. This works for now, If I had to get out in the cold to go to a gym, I probably would be less inclined to exercise in the morning. It's the hour of quiet time after my work out that I like the best... Its still dark and I can sip my coffee and enjoy it. Hope you find a time that works for you.
I LOVE working out in the mornings. My alarm is set for 3:15am and I'm at the gym by 3:45. I love being the only one there (except for the employees) and I love walking out at 5:30am when everyone else is just straggling in.
Definitely give yourself a week for your body to adjust to waking up earlier before you change your mind.
Good luck!
I am most definitely NOT a morning person - as seen by the fact that I work evenings! So I have to give you credit for even trying this! I agree with Skye, too, that it's wonderful that you're able to see the positives. I would probably be too bleary-eyed.
And OMG, 3:15 am, The Scale Whisperer??? What time do you go to bed?
Post a Comment