Saturday, December 13, 2008

Crazy talk: two workouts in one day

I didn't think this was going to be a big deal, working out twice yesterday. Just two hours of strenuous activity, any 53-year old, overweight female should be able to handle it, right? I'm only 31 pounds overweight, I'm practically skinny, right? Hahaha! Nothing could be further from the truth.


After my early morning fifty-minute, hardcore workout yesterday, I got home and it dawned it me...omg! it's Friday! I actually forgot it was Friday which means I forgot I always do my cardio variety class at noon on Friday. I thought, well, what the hell, it'll be good for me. Two workouts in one day, that will help suck off those six pounds I want to lose by January 1.

If you're thinking I was on the right track, and why not, sounds like a good idea...no, it was a very, very bad idea. The cardio class was step aerobics, high-intensity step for a full 45 minutes, then 15 minutes of weights. My morning workout was 30 minutes of cross ramp, high incline, pushing myself as fast and as hard as I could go. Then 20 minutes of weights, going heavier than normal.

Last night I paid the price. Let's face it, this body is old. Every fiber of my being hurt. Around 9pm my toes starting cramping and had a life of their own, taking off in all different directions. Then my calves started cramping, with sharp, excruciating pain. I haven't had leg cramps like that since I was 16 and walked half of 26-mile marathon (without one minute of training). I normally never get leg cramps. And toe cramps? I didn't even know that was possible.

And the hunger, I was so hungry all yesterday afternoon and last night that I seriously thought I was going to faint. I ate extra because of the 9 APs I earned, but it didn't matter. I couldn't squash the ravenous hunger. The only thing that stopped me from binging was I was literally more tired than hungry, and in so much pain that the hunger wasn't even on my radar by 9pm. I finally took a hot bath, which helped. At least I could sleep last night.

This morning I'm still hurting and I'm exhausted. I'm actually beyond exhausted. I feel like I've hit the wall. So much to do today, brunch with girlfriends, Christmas shopping (bah! humbug!), finish decorating and get stuff ready for our Denver trip on Thursday. Eight fun-filled days with the in-laws, gee, I can hardly wait. <---sarcasm, in case you didn't catch it.

Moral of this post, don't do two hours of intense working out in one day, unless 1.) you're young or 2.) you're use to it or 3.) you're just plain crazy and stupid, like me.


1 comments:

Skye-Lynn said...

Awe, sorry to hear you were in pain! :o(

I was going to say kudos on the double workout, but I certainly don't want to see you hurting like that! Look at it this way. At least you know your limits now. Take care of yourself sweetie. :o)